Caproni’s has been a Maysville dining tradition since the 1930’s as a sandwich shop for railroad workers. But in 1945, Leo Caproni along with his brother Alfred and sister in law Lea Caproni purchased and operated the restaurant for many years. Located beside the Amtrak railroad station and along CSX tracks, overlooking the Ohio River, at the base of what is now Rosemary Clooney Street. A fast freight and passenger train roars by within feet of diners.
In the early years, the railroad station was a source of customers for the restaurant. Alfred and Lea Caproni bought the business in 1953. In 1966, Alfred passed away and Lea decided to remodel the building so that the wall of windows on the north side brought the Ohio River vista to nearly all of the diners. In 1975, writer Billy Reed named Caproni’s one of the 10 best places to eat in Kentucky.